Horse School Questionnaire
This list of questions will help you evaluate potential schools. Every question will not apply to every school. Some questions are geared towards universities, while others are more applicable for specialty schools. Skip questions that don’t apply to a particular school, or rework them so they do. Add your own questions to the list as they come to mind. A downloadable version of the questionnaire is at the bottom of this page - just scroll down to save.
When you call or visit a school, keep this list in front of you. Scribble answers to the questions on sheets of paper, clearly labeled with the names of the schools that you are interested in. Otherwise, you may not remember which answers belong to which schools.
• What type of degree or certificate does the school offer?
• Is the program accredited?
• What association or organization is responsible for accrediting the program?
• What is the length of the program?
• What is the cost of the entire program?
• What does the tuition cover?
• Is housing provided?
• What is the cost of housing?
• Is financial aid available?
• Are there scholarships I can apply for?
• What are the additional costs for the equestrian program?
• Is there a clearly stated goal for the program?
• Is the program carrying out that goal?
• How long has the program been in existence?
• What is the admission policy for the program?
• What kind of educational goals does the typical student possess?
• Are graduates leaving the program with the skills and knowledge they hoped to acquire?
• What is a typical day like for an equestrian student?
• What is the ratio of general education to equine classes per semester or quarter?
• How many hours of hands-on experience do students get per semester or quarter?
• Can you describe the curriculum for the major I’m interested in?
• How often is the curriculum updated and reevaluated?
• Are the goals for each class clearly stated?
• Are the goals achievable for the students?
• Does each course build on the last as students progress?
• How are students graded in the hands-on (non-classroom) courses?
• How often are students evaluated?
• What is the average class size for hands-on courses?
• For hands-on courses, are the classes organized by skill level?
• How often do students ride, in hours, per semester or quarter?
• Does the school own the equestrian center, or is the program run at a nearby stable?
• How often has the school changed the location of the equestrian center?
• Is the equestrian center within walking distance of the campus?
• Is transportation provided to the equestrian center?
• How often is transportation provided, and at what times?
• How many horses are available for the program?
• Are students assigned their own horses or do they share with other students?
• Are horses of various ages and levels of ability available?
• May I bring my own horse?
• Will my horse be used in the program?
• What is the cost of boarding?
• Are barn safety rules and regulations clearly posted and upheld?
• Can you provide a detailed description of the equestrian facilities?
• What kind of training and degrees do members of the faculty have?
• Is the faculty currently involved in the equine industry outside of the school?
• Do assistants or other students (such as seniors) teach any classes?
• How easily accessible are the teachers outside of class?
• Do program directors teach classes?
• Are internships and apprenticeships available for students?
• Does the program help students find employment after graduation?
• How many students find jobs in the equine industry within a year of graduation?
• What types of jobs do graduates now hold?
• Are records kept of graduates that have found jobs and, if so, may I view them?
• Are students allowed to use the school’s career services after graduation?
Click below to save this questionnaire on your computer. If you plan on printing it up, plan on entering in more "white space" so that you have enough room to write down the answers.
|Horse School Questionnaire.doc||32 KB|